Cash Mails

cashmails.org

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Perils of Search Engine Results in the era of Custom Search Results

I’ve got to say that this morning I woke up to a pleasant surprise. I’ve worked for several days on a web project, and had been working on some getting links to the page to see what would happen. Well, this morning I did a couple test searches and the page I had worked on was number one on Google. So, needless to say I was pretty pleased. Traffic to the page though, didn’t seem to reflect that placement. I had thought it was a higher traffic term than I was seeing. That’s strange. Then, I thought to do the search from another machine. My site was in sixth place. What? Maybe that’s pulling from a different datacenter….. so, I dug up a link to the datacenter comparison tools and sure enough the site is in 4-6 place EVERYWHERE. Which can only mean one thing. I was logged in to google when I did the search and saw the page I had worked on at number 1. I logged out and searched, number 6. I logged into a different google account, number 6. Logged back in to that google account, number 1.
Read the rest of this entry »

No comments:

Post a Comment